Saturday, April 17, 2010

Tips to reduce nervousness on presentation

Although oral presentation for this module had ended, we still have many opportunites to present in many different occasions, in our future careers etc. However, many of us including me mentioned in our blog enteriest that one of the factors that hinder us from effective presentation or rather presenting to the best of each of our potential would be NERVOUSNESS. Therefore, I would like to share with everyone some of the interesting tips that I found online which helped me to reduce the number of butterflies I had in my stomache just before my presentation the other day. (((:

#1: Visualize the outcome you want.
Usually, people are afraid of public speaking because they see themselves failing the presentation even before it actually happens. They would picture themselves flipping through their notes, turning red and becoming mute when they stand before audiences. It is said that psychologists described this as negative anticipation!

Whenever I find myself sinking into the trap of negative anticipation, I would walk around and talk to my group members. The encouragments that they gave helped me to calm down as well. ((:


"Begin with the end in mind" This was quoted from Steven Covey in his book "The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People. If you anticipate success, then the probability of achieving it would be higher. It was said that through visualization, you are gearing your mind and body towards the outcome that you want. Hence, I would close my eyes so as to minimise distractions and paint a positive outcome in my mind. This was pretty effective the other day when I tried it before my presentation. It really helped me to be less nervous and more confident of myself.

#2: Take deep breaths
Anxiety would cause the muscle in the chest and throat area to tighten and restrict the airwaw. Not only does it limits the amount of oxygen we obtain, it would affect our voice projection as well causing our voice to come out as a squeak.

I would usually take three deep breaths and hold mybreadth to 3/4 seconds. The deep breaths would send more oxygen to the lungs and brains helping to expand the throat and chest. This aids in relaxation. I really believe in this! ((:

Last tip: SMILE!
At least I feel that this works for me! Haha! Smiling was said to have phsiological effect on us. It should help us to calm our nerves and make us feel better. I'm sure when you smile it'll help to make you look more pleasant and comfortable to your audiences as well, no?

One of my friends actually told me that generally audiences would mirror the expression of the presenters. So, I guess by smiling to your audiences, they would be more likely to smile back as well and it'll be the presentation atmosphere less tense! (((:

That's about all from me on the tips to reduce nervousness! I hope it would be occur and be useful to you guys when you have presentations in the future! (((:

Cheers! All the best for your papers people! ><

2 comments:

  1. Very fine list of tips, Shihhan! Thanks for sharing! (By the way, will you be posting your final reflection soon? I look forward to it.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Brad! I just posted my final reflections. ((:

    ReplyDelete